Monday, August 8, 2011

LICENSE TO DRIVE (1988)

"I'm so dead, they're going to have to bury me twice."

Corey Haim isn't scared of no vampires or werewolves anymore!  Nope, his biggest fear now is failing his driver's license test and not being able to take out the supercute Heather Graham this Saturday night. His worst fears become reality though when he fails the test miserably and his parents ground him for lying about it. But then Heather calls asking about their date and yeah, you guessed it...he sneaks the car out to go pick her up. Things go good for about 10 seconds then everything goes from bad to worse, but in a highly entertaining way.

I love LICENSE TO DRIVE.  I've seen it hundreds of times and it's always a fun watch.  Often I'll just have it playing in the background as I'm doing chores around the crib.  Extremely fast pace that flies by, tons of great quotes ("Let's give her a cruise!!!"), Heather Graham at her hottest, Feldman casually slamming the shit out of his bicycle, the two Corey's at their peak, solid camerawork, great direction, seriously impressive cast, a tow truck screeching to a halt, a Leatherface sighting, great soundtrack.

LICENSE TO DRIVE is one of my absolute favorite 1980's movies.  It, no bullshit, ranks right up there with BACK TO THE FUTURE.  Mandatory viewing. If you need me, I'll be down at Archie's Atomic picking up some babes.
 License plate changes spelling.  Back says "GRANDPA".  So does the front, then later on it says "GRANPA".